Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Faith Life

            I thought I should take the opportunity to write about something that crosses over all aspects of my life.  I am proud and happy to tell people about my faith life.  I have been raised as a Christian.  My entire faith life has been as a Lutheran.  The first church I attended was Holy Cross Lutheran in Memphis, Tennessee.  It was also the first school I attended.  Every Wednesday morning there was a service for the students.  I don’t remember anything about the services or the theology, but I don’t have any bad memories.  That is an important function of a church, in addition to spreading the word of God; we have to make the church a desirable and welcoming place for children.  Psalm 98 “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord” and I can’t think of anything more joyful than the sound of children laughing and having fun.  I am so happy and proud that my church, Reformation Lutheran Church in Milford, DE.  We are very welcoming of all people that want to come and worship Jesus.  We welcome small children into our church and services.  A baby crying is not a disruption to a service, it is an accruement.  I am proud that our national church, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, has voted to ordain homosexual pastors (single or in a committed relationship).  Many people think this is a mistake and against the word of God.  I believe it is the embodiment of God’s love and acceptance. 
            It appears that I was all over the board in the opening paragraph, but after the initial biographical information there is a theme.  A loving and welcoming church is very important to sharing the word of God.  All people must feel welcome and loved in a church.   Every church is not for every person.  Whether the theology or the Pastor or the time the services are celebrated, there are no shortage of reasons why someone won’t like a church, but a church needs to make every effort to share God’s love with everyone who enters the church to praise Jesus and ask for his forgiveness.  I try to bring that spirit of acceptance and loving forgiveness to my personal life.  I fail more often than I like to admit or think.  I hope the life I live, the example I provide is supportive of demonstrating God’s love and forgiveness.    I know that my salvation is through the grace of Jesus, my Savior and not through any acts on my part.
            If you don’t attend a church, I invite you visit Reformation in Milford.  If you don’t live in southern Delaware, then pick a church near you and give it a try.  I think you will be surprised at the peace and comfort that God and Jesus can bring to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment