Thursday, May 26, 2011

Walking the Walk

            My wife and I have always tried to set a good example for our children.  In all honesty, my wife has usually been a lot more concerned about this than I have.  The last couple of years I have seen the wisdom of her ways.  We have always been honest, but in the last few years we have taken it to a new level that most people think is unnecessary.  While almost everyone goes to customer service, if they are over-charged for something, we go to customer service if we are under-charged or something is missed completely.  It never fails to amuse me that the clerks are always confused when we go up to counter and say, “We were under-charged (or not charged) for this item and we need to pay for it.”  Undoubtedly some people, who read this, will think we are foolish.  I believe to do otherwise is stealing from the store. 
            This need to walk the walk can sometimes really put a crimp in my life.  My favorite fast food restaurant is Chick-Fil-A.  They have great sandwiches, waffle fries and their service is impeccable.  I recently discovered they also have a history of providing substantial financial support to anti-gay organizations.  My brother is married.  He married his husband a few years ago.  He got married in Germany.  Getting married in Delaware was not an option at that time (I am proud to say that Delaware now has a Civil Union law).  I have a number of good friends who are gay.  I know that we should be embarrassed that we do not guarantee equality to gay, lesbian and transgender people.  I know much as we are embarrassed by our history of discrimination towards African-Americans, we will be embarrassed by our treatment of GLBT people.  I know that even though I love Chick-Fil-A sandwiches, I love my brother more.  I know that as much as I respect that all Chick-Fil-A restaurants are closed on Sundays, I respect my gay friends more.  I know that I will miss eating at Chick-Fil-A, but not as much as I miss not being able to attend at my brother’s wedding.  I know that the loss of the few visits I made every month will not make a difference to their bottom line, but I know if I convince you to stop visiting Chick-Fil-A and you convince your friends to stop and they convince their friends and their friends and their friends that we can affect their bottom line.  Our friends and family who are gay deserve our support.  The businesses that choose to support organizations that want to perpetrate discrimination in America don’t deserve our business dollars.  I hope that you will walk the walk with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment