Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dadhood

            My wife & I have 4 children.  Only 2 of whom are still under our roof.  I used to think that the more experience I got as a Dad, the easier it would become and the better I would be at doing this very most important of all my jobs.  I was wrong.  I was very, very wrong.  The challenges of fatherhood easily match any growth in my wisdom or ability as a Dad. 
            When my children were little my greatest challenge was convincing them I could  perform actual magic by making quarters appear out of thin air, fix almost any broken toy and hold my breath under water long enough to really scare them.  My challenges have grown to include a son skipping classes (some how still passed his classes), my 18 year old daughter with a much older boy friend (thank God – already broken up) and a child with no idea of the importance of respect for her elders.  Fortunately everything has been able to work out with no major or lasting problems.
            Even with these problems, I have been lucky with my kids.  We are getting through these problems with no major or lasting damage.   The kids are learning that while our love is unconditional, there are limits to what we accept regarding their behavior.  They have learned there are consequences to their actions.   I have learned (or maybe been reminded) that many mistakes that kids make won’t kill them or ruin their lives.  They have learned that their Dad (& Mom) is smarter than they thought.  I have learned that they are both dumber and smarter than I thought. 
            It’s funny, 18 years of being a Dad and many times I feel less capable as a Dad than I did when I started.  I have figured out that I won’t really know if I am successful as a Dad until my own children have children.  Here’s to hoping that I am a good Dad.
            On the Eve of Mother's Day, I want to take this opportunity to thank my wife for everything she has done as Mom to our children.  She makes me a much better Dad.  Thank you Honey-I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment